UPDATE: We are now open for physical and online conference funding applications.
Each year, besides its own events, the Society generally sponsors over a dozen external conferences on medieval topics, both in the UK and beyond. The Society is particularly interested in providing sponsorship which facilitates wide conference access and participation for unwaged graduate and early-career medievalists.
Please note that, except in exceptional circumstances:
* Conference grant applications should be made at least three months ahead of the planned conference date
* Grants awarded are paid following the conference, on production of accounts and a brief report
* Grants are made for the uses laid out in the application only, and cannot be transferred to other uses
* The Society cannot support:
honoraria paid to tenured academics (such as keynote speakers);
closed or invitation-only events (e.g. those limited to members of the host institution);
catering, receptions and dinners
general funding requests which do not specify uses (esp. help for graduate and early-career medievalists)
* The conference grant system is not intended for use by individuals seeking personal funding to attend conferences. Apply here for Research Bursaries (which do not cover conference attendance).
* Applications can only be made using the online application system. We cannot accept applications in any other form.
For online conference applications, the Society can offer:
* Use of the Society’s professional webinar hosting and auto-subtitling subscriptions (such as Zoom). Organisers will need to establish an effective system of human moderation, to ensure a safe and orderly environment for their online conference.
* Grants of up to £500 GBP, for expenses that are strictly necessary. Applicants must demonstrate that all other funding possibilities have been exhausted, including those from their host institutions. Please note that these grants cannot be used to fund alternative subscriptions to the online packages offered by the Society.
Grants for online conferences are considered according to the same criteria as for all other conferences (as detailed below and on the application form). Please read the below carefully before proceeding
To apply for funding, you generally need to be a Society member, although we will consider exceptional cases (if the latter, please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org).
To submit an application, please click here.